Program is the first of four in the spring education series
LONGMEADOW—Glenmeadow will offer a screening of the German film “To Life!” on Friday, March 24 from 1:30-3 p.m. at the life plan community.
In this uplifting drama, two disparate wounded souls—an aging Polish-born cabaret singer and a young German man driven by a secret—form a bittersweet bond. Ruth and Jonas find themselves at a crossroads, without a home and suffering from romantic loss.
Flashbacks divulge the older Jewish woman’s wartime sorrows, while Jonas’ current vulnerability comes to light. Through shared parallels and camaraderie, and the lusty Yiddish music of yesteryear, this improbable duo rekindles their sense of purpose.
This program is offered in partnership with the Pioneer Valley Jewish Film Festival. It will be offered at Glenmeadow at 24 Tabor Crossing, Longmeadow.
The program is free, but seating is limited, and registration is required; call (413) 567-7800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit glenmeadow.org/learning for more information.
Glenmeadow Learning is one of many free programs Glenmeadow offers to members of the wider community. And these programs represent only one facet of the life plan community’s mission to serve seniors across the region and to operate as a socially accountable organization.
Established in 1884, Glenmeadow is a nonprofit, accredited life plan community; it provides independent and assisted living at its campus at 24 Tabor Crossing in Longmeadow and expanded Glenmeadow at Home services throughout greater Springfield.
To learn more about Glenmeadow and its history and offerings, visit www.glenmeadow.org.
In the 1800s, elderly individuals without family or means were sent to live at what was called “the poor farm.” In 1884, a group of civic leaders raised funds among themselves and other area families and purchased a house on Main Street in Springfield’s south end. Quickly outgrowing that house, land was purchased on the corner of Chestnut and Carew streets, where a new home was constructed and opened in 1900. In 1960, the name was changed to Chestnut Knoll, and in 1992, it began to admit men.
In 1993, the organization purchased a 23-acre parcel in Longmeadow to build a new community that would provide both independent living and assisted living in one building with various common areas. This was a new concept known as a continuing care retirement community. Existing residents from the old Chestnut Knoll property were moved to the new campus in 1997. Shortly after the move, the board voted to change its legal name to Glenmeadow to coincide with the name being used by the developer of the property.