Program is the third offering in the fall education series
LONGMEADOW—Author Ariella Cohen will read from her novel Sweet Breath of Memory in Glenmeadow Retirement’s third program in the fall education series on Wednesday, Nov. 16 at 1:30 p.m. at Glenmeadow.
In the novel, Cate Saunders starts her life over in Amberley, Massachusetts, after losing her husband to the Iraq War. Life is a struggle, and Saunder’s new job as a caregiver doesn’t pay much, but the locals are welcoming. This debut adult novel celebrates that through the sharing of stories, even the most broken among us can be made whole.
Cohen is a graduate of Barnard College, Hebrew University and the University of Michigan Law School. She has also written a young adult novel.
This program is held as part of The Springfield Jewish Community Center’s Literatour program.
Glenmeadow Retirement is located at 24 Tabor Crossing.
The program is free, but seating is limited, and registration is required; call (413) 567-7800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit glenmeadow.org/learning for more information.
Established in 1884, Glenmeadow is a nonprofit, accredited continuing care retirement community; it provides independent and assisted living at its campus at 24 Tabor Crossing in Longmeadow and expanded Glenmeadow at Home services throughout greater Springfield.
To learn more about Glenmeadow and its history and offerings, visit www.glenmeadow.org.
In the 1800s, elderly individuals without family or means were sent to live at what was called “the poor farm.” In 1884, a group of civic leaders raised funds among themselves and other area families and purchased a house on Main Street in Springfield’s south end. Quickly outgrowing that house, land was purchased on the corner of Chestnut and Carew streets, where a new home was constructed and opened in 1900. In 1960, the name was changed to Chestnut Knoll, and in 1992, it began to admit men.
In 1993, the organization purchased a 23-acre parcel in Longmeadow to build a new community that would provide both independent living and assisted living in one building with various common areas. This was a new concept known as a continuing care retirement community. Existing residents from the old Chestnut Knoll property were moved to the new campus in 1997. Shortly after the move, the board voted to change its legal name to Glenmeadow to coincide with the name being used by the developer of the property.