Final program in the fall education series offers a look at the benefits of upcycling
AGAWAM—Amber Ladley, a lifelong crafter, will offer the last program in Glenmeadow Retirement’s fall education series with her workshop “Inviting Creativity: A Crafty Workshop on the Benefits of Upcycling.” It will be held Tuesday, Nov. 29 at 10 a.m. at the Agawam Public Library.
Ladley is a creative reuse leader, educator and crafter extraordinaire. She co-founded Knack: The Art of Clever Reuse, an arts and crafts thrift store and DIY studio space in Easthampton, in 2012 and launched Happily Upcycled in 2016.
Ladley will discuss the benefits that creativity can bring to one’s life. The founder of happilyupcycled.com, Ladley will help participants find potential in reusing materials and will also lead them in creating a gratitude jar to hold thoughts and memories. Attendees are invited to select from the papers, fabric scraps and embellishments Ladley will provide or bring their own.
Agawam Public Library is located at 750 Cooper St.
The program is free, but seating is limited, and registration is required; call (413) 567-7800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit glenmeadow.org/learning for more information.
Established in 1884, Glenmeadow is a nonprofit, accredited continuing care retirement community; it provides independent and assisted living at its campus at 24 Tabor Crossing in Longmeadow and expanded Glenmeadow at Home services throughout greater Springfield.
To learn more about Glenmeadow and its history and offerings, visit www.glenmeadow.org.
In the 1800s, elderly individuals without family or means were sent to live at what was called “the poor farm.” In 1884, a group of civic leaders raised funds among themselves and other area families and purchased a house on Main Street in Springfield’s south end. Quickly outgrowing that house, land was purchased on the corner of Chestnut and Carew streets, where a new home was constructed and opened in 1900. In 1960, the name was changed to Chestnut Knoll, and in 1992, it began to admit men.
In 1993, the organization purchased a 23-acre parcel in Longmeadow to build a new community that would provide both independent living and assisted living in one building with various common areas. This was a new concept known as a continuing care retirement community. Existing residents from the old Chestnut Knoll property were moved to the new campus in 1997. Shortly after the move, the board voted to change its legal name to Glenmeadow to coincide with the name being used by the developer of the property.